Friday, July 10, 2009

You Know You Want It


The Kiwi Fruit Tart from AnneMarie Colbin's "The Natural Gourmet".

About 15 years ago, I read the story of how Alice Waters cooked her way straight through an Elizabeth David book. Reading this caused a chain reaction of events for me: 1. I promptly bought a slew of Elizabeth David books; 2. I read through them but couldn't get hooked on the idea of cooking through them; 3. I thought about what kind of cooking I wanted to master (at that time); and 4. I finally settled on making the commitment to "The Natural Gourmet".

The experience of making the commitment to a single book and then working my way through the recipes probably taught me more about cooking than anything else.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the wherewithal at the time to record much detail about this experience and that is why there is no movie called "Arlene and AnneMarie" and we have instead "Julie and Julia"!

This tart is truly sensational (I know the photo doesn't quite do it justice). I highly recommend this book for those that want to cook with whole foods with great tasting results.

Cabbage/Sauerkraut Update: Yes, I did it. I put it together late last night. The sauerkraut experiment is on its way. I'm documenting it with photos and will post the recipe assembly shots soon.

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment