Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Revolving Vegetarian Door

For a number of years I was a bona fide vegetarian. And, I went pretty deep into it. I taught vegetarian cooking and was the head chef in a vegetarian restaurant. I do believe in the mighty power of vegetables.

And then, after about five years, I had to admit that I didn't feel better as a result of my dietary choices and meat re-entered my diet and has remained.

However, as my adorable SO says so well, "The heart wants what the heart wants." And, so over the last year, I have explored vegetarian cooking at deeper levels -- arriving at last at the doorstep of raw veganism -- a vegetarian diet that not only does not include any animal products but also is not cooked. I know it sounds weird, restrictive, and fringe-y, but by and large, the food is light and delicious. It's truly fascinating what people have developed within the raw vegan parameters.

If you've read much of this blog, it's pretty obvious that I'm a die-hard foodie. I'm not sure I could comfortably leave behind so many favorite foods in order to pursue being a full-time raw vegan. No, I don't see myself ultimately swearing off barbecued ribs, fried chicken or, especially, rack of lamb.

And, if I had any doubts, I had an experience last fall that really told the tale.

In my pursuit of learning the ins and outs of raw vegan food prep, I went on a little adventure -- I volunteered to work in the kitchen at the Raw Spirit Festival in Sedona. Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure:



















For three days, I ate uncooked fruits, vegetables and nuts combined in a staggering number of ways -- I had burritos, sushi, falafel, amazing desserts and some of the best chocolate I've ever tasted.



And, the morning I left Sedona, heading for Tucson, I pulled into the first breakfast joint I could find and had a big omelette with cheese and ham! There I was, feeling clean and light and I ran right for the meat!!!

I could only conclude one thing: I'm an omnivore. It's just who I am.

On the other hand, maybe you are a little curious about this raw vegan thing? Maybe, just maybe, you'd like to dip your toe in the water and check it out -- so, I'm going to share a little something that I made tonight using what I had on hand and it was really good:

Tomato Basil Soup

8 tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks
1/4 cup basil leaves
1/2 small onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender and process at high speed. You may have to process the tomatoes first to make room for the other ingredients. You may also add some water if you want a thinner soup.

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment