Sunday, September 27, 2009

Pennsylvania Yumminess

I went to see my dear Auntie this weekend who lives in Delaware. On my list of things to do was to return to the Va La Winery and get some fresh mushrooms direct from the growers -- both destinations are in Avondale, Pennsylvania.

So, first up was the trip to Va La:

Approaching heaven...

This is the interior of the tasting room. There are all sorts of oils to taste as well.

Ah, the tasting...with each wine, there's a little snack -- locally made cheeses (great and they are sold there as well), fresh Italian bread and extra virgin olive oil for dipping. The wines are made with a mixture of French and Italian grape varieties.

Not a great shot because it was overcast but here is one of the vineyards

I did end up buying both La Prima Donna (a white blend) and the Silk (a rosatto) -- I think 5 bottles in total. Some will be given as holiday gifts and Silk will probably be part of Thanksgiving as it is a light red and capable of matching poultry and fish quite nicely. Also, it's a sentimental favorite because it's the first wine I shared with my great and adorable SO.

Then, onto buy some mushrooms -- 3 pounds of Oyster Mushrooms and 3 pounds of Portobellos for $6.50!!!:

These are from the retail outlet of Cutone's -- sorry no website. If you go, just be mindful that on Saturday's this place is only open till 3:00 PM. And, no, I have no idea (yet) what I'm going to do with all these mushrooms.

I highly recommend taking this little trip if you live close enough -- it's also not far from some other cool places such as Winterthur in Delaware and the Chadd's Ford area in Pennsylvania.

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment