Tuesday, October 6, 2009

10 Men in Kilts and counting...

Since our Apple Festival plans were re-arranged, great and adorable SO and I opted for the Mother Earth Harvest Fair at the Spoutwood Farm on Sunday -- See poster below:





















For some odd reason, I'm fascinated by men sporting kilts who (a) do not live in Scotland and/or (b) are not attending a Scottish event. I guess it's the boldness of the whole fashion statement that captivates me. Well, I really got an eyeful of men in kilts at this fair -- at least ten! However, I have to qualify this by saying that the featured band was a kilt-wearing clan named, Albannach:





They were actually pretty entertaining!









Also, entertaining were some other folks in the crowd. My favorites were the two guys who were wearing some type of swamp monster outfit (sorry, no picture) and the lady wearing the fairy dress that was made out of plastic grocery bags (picture courtesy of my SO):

























But, you ask, what about the food???

There were a nice selection of vendors selling hand-crafted items -- homemade bread, raw milk cheese, fruits and vegetables, and honey. The fruit and veggie stand was getting lots of traffic because they were giving away free chunks of watermelon which was pretty tasty. We missed getting the homemade bread as it was gone by the time we went back to buy it. We did get some artisan cheese and the honey. In addition, to buying the honey, we went to a cool demonstration given by the bee keeper -- He's been keeping bees for 30 years and says he is still learning! Here's a pic of the bees in the hive:






















Since I'm a knitter, I was keenly interested in the two ladies that were spinning wool. One spinner is actually starting a wool collective next year where you buy into a share of the animals and then as the wool becomes available she spins it and sends it to you! You get to meet the animals and even pick which ones you want the wool from. I can't wait!

Spoutwood Farm (click here for the website), where the event was held, is a 100 member Community Supported Agriculture ("CSA") farm. I checked into the program to see how it compares to mine and their medium share is comparable in price to what I'm paying with an additional 10 hour work requirement. It could be interesting next year to do both -- I believe I would get a different selection. Since it's a smaller operation, I suspect they may be growing more heirloom varieties.

Spoutwood Farm also hosts a Fairie festival in May and is having a big Halloween bash this year that looks intriguing...


One last thing before I sign off today: Last week I mentioned that in a speed cooking session I made a sweet potato pie with a gingersnap crust. Lord, it was good! Here's a pic:







Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment