Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fine dining at the Capital Grille - An essay on eating, drinking Stoli Doli's, oysters & Steak




So,
The love of my life is unfortunately NOT going to be here for my birthday - long story but the man's gotta travel across the ocean and leave me alone. Given he's a thoughtful guy, and knows I adore good food, he made a reservation at Capital Grille in the Inner Harbor. We arrived, got shown to a table that was more suited to a business meeting than cozy lovers feast but gotta give it to them, they moved us to a "show booth" right away upon the slightest sign of my displeasure.
We started off with the Capital Grille's signature "Stoli Doli" - a dangerously smooth concoction of premium vodka and fresh pineapple that essentially marinades for days & gets poured by the glass. Seems other people like this drink too - in fact, here's a great ode to the Stoli Doli I found online - check it out by clicking here.

How do you make your own "Stoli Doli"? Here's an excellent recipe I found on AllRecipes.com

Another version - from an article that talks about making your own flavored liquor is equally interesting...it was authored by Lindsay Christians and can be viewed here.

Now, let's move on shall we? Appy's were a challenge to pick - everything looked good. I was really in the mood for oysters (yes, I know no R in July...blablabla) but sadly, they only had these really small ones. I like the big meaty ones - Wikipedia has some interesting info on oysters - start here.

It's impossible for me to eat/think/look at oysters and not think about...uh, sex. Here's a neat read about if oysters are or aren't really aphrodisiacs.

Anyway - I skipped the oysters & went for a crab cocktail (after years of living in Maryland I try to get excited about lump crab meat - but still...it's a challenge.) My love ordered the famous calamari with peppers - we both agreed the peppers were the best part of the deal.

For dinner we did our own Surf n Turf - him ordering steak (Delmonico - medium rare) & myself ordering a lovely 3lb Lobster. It was awesome, divine & definitely very delicious.

Dessert was a pre cut slice of some chocolate cake (which was toooooo chocolatey - one of those flour less chocolate paste concoctions) and a pretty good slice of plain cheesecake with a strawberry coulis.

All in all - good meal - were I rating with stars, I'd say 4 out of 5 (largely being due to the company - who himself was a pretty tasty dish). Here's a great article I found on how to turn "Cheap steak into Gucci Steak" courtesy of a cool site called "SteamyKitchen", click here to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment