Thursday, July 23, 2009

Movie Review: Julia & Julie




Wow...wow...wow...I loved the book AND I loved the movie!

Yes, I'm a sucker for movies that feature lots of food and cooking. But, really, it was GOOD.

It's late and I should be going to bed, but I had to report in while the details are fresh in my mind. Here are some of my favorite parts of the movie:

(1) Meryl Streep was outstanding as Julia Child and I'm not normally gaga about Meryl (except I was completely swept away by her in "The Devil Wears Prada" as Miranda Priestly...)

(2) They played the song, "Psycho Killer" by the Talking Heads during the lobster cooking scene. Being a child of the 80's this really made my heart strings zing. Now, I have to cook with the Talking Heads playing in the background. It is now a given.

(3) Ah, the La Creuset in the old, original orange-flame color. Glory be. It made me want to come home and just cook and cook and cook beefy things with red wine.

(4) The portrayal of Simone Beck was fascinating. Now, I feel myself yearning to buy some of her books. What a peachy gal she was!

(5) Stanley Tucci -- cute as always.

(6) Julia's steadfast determination to learn how to cook. I know that feeling. I know the desparate desire to possess the skill to get techniques and ingredients to reveal their secrets to you.

Two wooden spoons up on this one!

Food & Kiss, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment