Friday, July 24, 2009

My Personal Picnic Paradigm Shift

Oh, the whole picnic show thing is really coming together very nicely! We are having so much fun with this.

As usual, I'm enjoying the whole research and development process and as you know from my prior post on the subject of picnics, I was surprised to learn of the English heritage of the picnic. In my own life, however, my most memorable picnic involved a much different part of the world...

Over twenty years ago, I was friends with a guy who was from Lebanon. He had lived here for most of his life but was still very much connected to the Middle Eastern community here. Back then and at first, this didn't register as significant to me.

So, at some point, he invited me to a picnic that his brother was organizing for about 50 people at a park. Sounded good to me -- sure, I love hotdogs, potato salad, baked beans, etc.

When it was time to eat, I got thrown for a big loop. I didn't recognize one thing that was being served. It's laughable because a lot of these foods are pretty mainstream now, but not back then: Hummus, Falafel, Kofta burgers, Baked and Raw Kibbe served with pita bread, Bulgarian Feta Cheese, Grape Leaves stuffed with meat, and lots of olives. I think all I put on my plate was lettuce!!! Eventually, I tried everything but the Raw Kibbe, and liked it. Then, I learned how to make all of it and was determined to duplicate those tastes.

That picnic was life-changing for me -- I had stepped smack dab in the middle of another culture and it was first obvious to me through the food. In order to better connect with these folks, I then learned to make the dishes.

Since then, I have learned that when I want to cross a cultural divide, I can always do so through being open to the food. If I'm willing to put in my mouth what they do and then show appreciation, we will have a conversation and then maybe a friendship. It's simple and very powerful...and it all started with this one picnic.

In closing out this post, I'm going to share the simple Hummus recipe that I have made countless times -- it's the first dish that I remember not recognizing at that picnic long ago -- and it's adapted from a little book called, "Pita The Great":

Hummus

1/4 cup tahini
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 to 1/2 cup warm water
2 - 3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups (1 pound can) chhickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Dash ground cumin
Olive Oil (garnish)
Chopped fresh parsley (garnish)

Put tahini, lemon juice, water and garlic in food processor fitted with the metal blade. Cover and process until smooth.

With the machine running, gradually add the chickpeas, salt, cumin, and pepper, processing until the mixture is the consistency of a very thick paste. If necessary, stop the machine and scrape down the sides with a spatual. The mixture will thicken when it is refrigerated, so if it seems too thick when you've finished processing it, add up to 1/2 cup more water and process again. Taste to correct seasonings.

Put the hummus into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, to chill. Before serving, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with the chopped parsley.

To store, refrigerate, covered, for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.

Makes 2 cups.

Enjoy!

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment