Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Best Corn Ever!!!

Hey!!! I'm baaaack....I just got back from a most delightful vacation and do have some food stories to share in up-coming posts. For now, I'm going to keep things simple and just go on and on about how good the corn was that I picked up from my farm share today.

OMG. I have eaten some great corn in my time, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't better than what I had today.

Here's the whole haul from today including said corn:



(If you look closely, you will see there is a small cantaloupe in there too -- it's a little green just yet, but it has promise!)

So. I cleaned the corn and yes, there was a little meat in there, aka a worm. The corn is organically grown so the ears are smaller than the chemically grown stuff. I steamed the corn on the stovetop at lunchtime -- two ears for lunch and the rest for dinner along with salad and summer squash.

The corn was perfect. So perfect, in fact, it required nothing -- no salt, pepper, butter, etc. It was pure summer sweetness.

Eating food like this at its peak is much like the month of August itself. Dickens said it well in "The Pickwick Papers"":

"There is no month in the whole year in which nature wears a more beautiful appearance than in the month of August. Spring has many beauties, and May is a fresh and blooming month, but the charms of this time of year are enhanced by their contrast with the winter season. August has no such advantage. It comes when we remember nothing but clear skies, green fields, and sweet-smelling flowers--when the recollection of snow, and ice, and bleak winds, has faded from our minds as completely as they have disappeared from the earth--and yet what a pleasant time it is! Orchards and cornfields ring with the hum of labour; trees bend beneath the thick clusters of rich fruit which bow their branches to the ground; and the corn, piled in graceful sheaves, or waving in every light breath that sweeps above it, as if it wooed the sickle, tinges the landscape with a golden hue."

It's good to be back.

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment