Monday, August 17, 2009

Food Tales from the Road - Part I: Smoked Brisket

One of the food delights of my recent vacation was an incredibly yummy Smoked Brisket made by a friend in Oklahoma. This kind friend got up at 3:00 AM in the morning to have the brisket ready by dinner time. Talk about smoky deliciosity!!! It was tender, juicy and wonderfully flavorful. After we took one bite, our host revealed that he had, in fact, not used any rub or marinade in order to achieve the flavor. This was just the result of Beef + Smoke! With this spectacular dish we had yummy sides of potato salad, deviled eggs, baked beans, and cantaloupe.

We also have some photos to share:

In the beginning, there was raw brisket...







And, after hours of tender, loving, smoky care, there was a splendid smoked brisket!









In the "how to" department, I confess to having owned a smoker at one time (aka "Mr. Meatsmoker" -- not kidding) and discarded my smoker along the way because it was such a labor of love to produce anything between soaking the wood chips, preparing the meat in the wee hours of the morning and then tending to the charcoal all day. Plus the timing was tricky as to when things would be done and never came out the same way, etc. So...our gracious host was kind enough to share his "how to" -- he uses the Cookshack electric smoker -- click here for info. Of course, I'm dying to buy one and am certain that I shall because fall is such a great time for smoking foods, but I do have to find a place to store it and right now I haven't figured that part out.

Oh, and I forgot to dish about the homemade chocolate pie, didn't I? I should have gotten a picture of that too!

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment