Thursday, August 27, 2009

Disasterville!!!

It happens to all of us: you salivate over a recipe, go out and spend your hard-earned money on the ingredients, invest the time in the kitchen only to be met with a bona fide, throw-the-whole-thing-out disaster.

Such was the Cantaloupe Soup with Blueberries experience I had with M earlier this week.

Oh, things started out going well. I was bright and shiny-cheeked with enthusiasm as I carted my ingredients to her house. While M worked over two more batches of Mac N Cheese, I cut up my cantaloupe and peach. It went into the pot to cook for 7 or 8 minutes -- see below:



Then, the first mis-step occurred. I was waxing eloquently about how I've learned the hard way not to fill a blender with too much hot liquid as I ladled the second batch of cooked fruit and juice into the blender. I flipped the switched and, yes, the hot soup went all over the place. We cleaned that up and put the mixture into a bowl.

In the interests of time, I decided that the chilling process would be better served by a trip to the freezer...but there was no room at the inn...:



Unfazed by the lack of space, I started trying to re-arrange things to fit my Big A** bowl of fruit soup in the freezer. In short order, my Big A** bowl had both fruit soup with various little treasurers that leapt out of the freezer into the bowl. The treasurers were cleaned off and returned to their slots. I headed for the big freezer downstairs.

Meanwhile, back at the Mac N Cheese ranch, things were going well. Two beautiful casserole dishes came out of the oven --



After the yummy Mac N Cheese course, it was time for the Cantaloupe Soup. It was fairly cold (but not frozen...yet!) and I prepared it for tasting. It did look rather pretty:



Now, the moment of truth. I took a taste and thought it good. M HATED IT!!!! I tasted it again and had to admit it was not good. The poor soup. It had really been through a lot and the whole darn batch went down the disposal.

Back to the drawing board...

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment