Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Pho Phix


Sometimes there is simply nothing better than a steaming, spicy bowl of pho – the classic Vietnamese soup comprised of thinly sliced meats and rice noodles that is usually served with basil, lime, bean sprouts and peppers. The broth is a heady brew in its own right and is usually seasoned with cinnamon, star anise, charred ginger and cloves.


Last night I indulged heavily in my passion for pho at the catchily-named Pho #1 located in Catonsville. Among the many versions of pho to choose from, my dinner companion and I both settled on one containing roast pork, shrimp and crabmeat. I’ve made pho at home but for me, this is a situation where I like the ritual involved in eating it out.



Pho #1 has all the appropriate condiments: soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce, two other kinds of chili paste as well as fish sauce. For, me, it’s the works – all the peppers, the pepper pastes…I am ready to suffer for this culinary masterpiece.



Now, if you’ve never eaten pho and you are raring to go, here are the ins and outs of what to do once that yummy bowl of goodness is set in front of you:

1. Season your pho – First sample the broth and then add a little fish sauce, black pepper and lime into your bowl to taste.

2. Add herbs and sprouts – Toss a handful of beansprouts into your pho. Submerge them along with any rare pieces of beef. De-stem about 10 basil leaves and add to the bowl along with any fresh chilies if you are game.

3. Prepare your dipping sauce – Combine ½ hoisin sauce and ½ sriracha sauce into a small saucer.

4. Enjoy your pho – Mix all the ingredients in the bowl. Pick up pieces of meat with a piece of basil or chili and dip into the hoisin/sriracha mixture. Eat. Sip the broth in between eating the noodles and the meat.

Food & Kisses, GiGi

1 comment:

  1. I just KNEW we were separated at birth... My favorite comfort food is PHO. I grew up cooking Vietnamese food (largely due to the fact my Mom is not the best cook - and we had a Vietnamese lady named Phung - living with us for quite some time.)

    I love Vietnamese because it's fresh, the flavors are complex & it's just so satisfyingly healthy.

    Gigi, where was I when you indulged yourself you naughty girl?

    My personal PHO Joint is Pho Dat Than - which is in Columbia.
    Methinks a road trip for comparison purposes is definitely in order...

    Food & Kisses,
    M

    ReplyDelete