Monday, August 3, 2009

Remembrances of Sundays Past: Chicken and Dumplings


My death row meal could possibly be Chicken and Dumplings – with the dumplings being big squares, rolled thinly and cooked in the chicken broth remaining from boiling a chicken. In a perfect world, the chicken would be a stewing hen (meaning an older chicken that would benefit from the long cooking). Unfortunately, for most of us, the days of easily obtaining a stewing hen have past. We are relegated to a few options at our local grocery store. Do not despair, good results can still be obtained. Click here here for a recipe that should do the trick!

The accompaniments of this dish usually included coleslaw, perhaps a succotash made with fresh lima beans, white corn, butter and milk and possibly a gelatin-based salad involving carrots, pineapple and orange jello. I know jello salads are not trendy anymore and I’m not advocating for re-igniting that trend, but I do have a soft spot for this recipe.

I don’t remember a specific dessert but I do remember a rather unusual one that we might have had – Fruit Cocktail ice cream. I remember this being quite good – who would think that they bits of canned fruit could be so delightful in ice cream? Click here for a version that is very similar.


This Chicken and Dumplings meal was typically served with quite a few people around the table and it was universally loved. This was many years ago now…I wonder when was that last time? I assure you I did not know then that something that seemed so commonplace, something I participated in countless times would one day become remembered with nostalgia.

As an adult, I’ve made this dish for friends on occasion and each time it translated as being special. Sometimes someone will even ask me, “Have you made chicken and dumplings for so-and-so yet?”

At the end of the day, this is a special dish, but more special is creating memories with those that you love. Sunday is a great day for making memories for you and yours. If you are looking for a springboard, a big pot of Chicken and Dumplings is a good place to start.

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment