Thursday, September 3, 2009

Cleaning Out the Fridge

Since today is the day I pick up my market share, I was a bit under the gun to get several items from last week made into something. I set aside last night to see what I could do about making space for today's new items.

The biggest space hog was a big, fat, juicy watermelon. I pureed it in my blender with a bit of lemon juice and half of it went into the ice cream maker to make a tasty sorbet:





But what about the rest of the puree? Probably more sorbet later on tonight.







Then, there was the matter of some tomatoes and peppers -- I remembered that I had a recipe for a Hungarian dish referred to as "lesco" so I made a batch of that:



This reminded me of sofrito but did not have garlic.












Lastly, I decided to harvest the rest of my basil and marjoram from my hanging planters. I was going to make pesto but the basil was looking a bit scraggly so I opted for flavored vinegars instead:




It will be fun to use these in salads!









I still have Japanese eggplant and some summer squash left...I wanted to make Baba Ghannoush but I think the eggplant will be too seedy. I also have a lot of fresh garlic and am thinking about Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic -- was looking around for a slow cooker version of that dish but so far, no luck.

And, I have a book recommendation: "My Life in France" by Julia Child (Click here for ordering info). It's largely about getting "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" written and published. One thing that blew me away was discovering how determined Julia was to get things right -- she reveals that she would personally test dishes ten to fifteen times!!! And, we are talking about some tricky stuff here. I've personally known a few cookbook writers and have not encounted this type of devotion before. Julia was truly a fascinating person -- quite ahead of her time! I was watching some of her old shows from the sixties earlier this week and in one episode she talks at length about knives. The information is completely relevant today!!

Enjoy! Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment