Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Food & Kisses, Uninterrupted

When M and I first started dishing about an endeavor together, we rather quickly came to liking the name, "Food & Kisses" -- it rang with overtones of the fun of making great food and being great friends. We've batted around all different ideas as to where our collective passion and talents would or could take us.

Last night we had scheduled to get together and work on different tomato recipes and it looked like finally all the planets were in alignment and we would be able to record our efforts. My thoughtful SO had lent his camera as I'm still in the throes of deciding which one to buy. The batteries were charged and I ran out at lunch time to get blank tapes and heirloom tomatoes.

On the way over, M discovered she had to run some extra errands and after a long day for both of us, the prospect of doing a big food "thing" seemed daunting.

BUT, the prospect of hanging out, drinking a little wine, chatting about food and maybe even watching some old Julia Child reruns seemed pretty appealing. Once our self-imposed pressure was removed, the passion and flow of playing in the kitchen returned and before we knew it, things were in full swing in my kitchen with M turning out two beautiful dishes (sorry, I can't disclose details right now).

I whipped out the camera and it seemed like it was recording. Unfortunately, I could not get the tape to play back -- I believe this to be operator error. Perhaps there is some footage to be salvaged...

While we were waiting for dinner to finish cooking, we watched Julia teach us about lobsters and then while dining, we laughed our way through the tripe episode (OMG, the hair!!!).

And, though not much was captured for posterity on film, it's captured in my mind as a special time in the kitchen with a wonderful friend. And, to me, this captures what Food & Kisses is at its heart. What an extraordinary Tuesday night it turned out to be!

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment