Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Apalachicola...and an Order of Fries!

Back from a little getaway to Florida -- Tallahassee, to be exact where a sister-friend lives. I did take some good pics while I was away and ate some yummy foods so I'm here to share! Please excuse the picture quality. All the photos were taken with my Blackberry.

So...I flew down on Thursday night and Friday we spent the day running to various little haunts: a couple of yarn stores and some foodie-places.

First stop was to a yarn store --


Notice that this place looks "sketchy" -- in fact, it was smack dab in the middle of a whole crop of sketchy places. Chief among the dubious spots was the curiously named, "Papa Smokes". As we drove the maze of corrugated tin shops, many of the shop workers were lounging out in front of their respective establishments, all looking very happy and moving around rather s-l-o-w-l-y. I believe this to have something to do with the calming presence of the Papa Smokes shop.

Another one of our stops was the largest local Asian market with the interesting name of "Mike's Seafood". One great thing about Asian market is the wonderful and rather inexpensive dishes usually available. Mike's did not disappoint.
















After a full day of shopping, we girlies needed to put our feet up and enjoy a fermented beverage. And, while I would have been happy with just two glasses of wine, we had gotten an unbelievable deal on a great bottle of sparkling wine so we ended up opening that too and drinking it. All of this gave way to experiments with cookies:



To clarify, I'm neither wearing the cookie nor holding the cookies!











Then, came Saturday and our plan was to descend upon Apalachicola which is known for its oysters. My favorite spot is Boss Oyster (click here if you are ever in the area!).












I ordered my usual: a combination platter of a dozen different cooked oysters with four different toppings. I ordered the Captain Jack (cheddar cheese, jalapenos, and bacon), the Gouda-Gouda (smoked Gouda and caramelized onions), the Rockefeller I (spinach, parmesan cheese, and hollandaise sauce), and the Ala Artie (Provolone, artichoke hearts and crabmeat). I almost forgot to take a pic, but remembered before it was too late --




And, ah...the view from the back at Boss's --






On our way out of town, I did get one good picture of one of the shrimp boats --

So much fun!!!









Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment