Sunday, September 20, 2009

Weekend Wrap Up

Ahhh...As promised, every closet and drawer has been gone through -- purged, organized, and set to rights. The worst was, of course, the dreaded sock drawer. For the longest time, I've been throwing things in there wantonly and without care. I favor black trouser socks for the winter for work and evidently, when I get frustrated, I buy more rather than sit down and carefully pair them.

In any event, since I was home, I snuck a bit of cooking in as I was working.


I had a number of fresh tomatoes and turned that into a fresh sauce that I put in one of my slow cookers.

Once the tomatoes cooked down significantly, I added some fresh basil and a bag of mixed frozen seafood (shrimp, calamri, scallops).


Perhaps this does not look like much, but it was GOOD. It's swiss chard that I added to some sauteed garlic and olive oil and when it was cooked down, I ate it with some whole wheat pasta. The chard was from the farm share from the week before last so it was on must go status.



Here is a riff on the good old Queen Yam Casserole from the "Book of Whole Meals" by AnneMarie Colbin. It calls for yams and parsnips but I wasn't going to the store that day so I subsituted a couple of carrots and potatoes. I was taking it to a GF's house for dinner -- the same GF that turned me onto the recipe about a year ago -- and it was a hit because GF's son doesn't like parsnips so he was happy it was parsnip-free!


Hopefully in the next few days, I will have shots of pickled eggplant to share. I started it last night (Day 1: Salting; Day 2: Vinegaring; Day 3: Oil and Garlic for two months). It will be ready by Thanksgiving!!!

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment