Thursday, November 12, 2009

Dates on the Way!


A couple days ago, I recieved an odd voicemail. It was a woman from a date farm in California calling to tell me that the date crop is being harvested and what would I like to order?

I had forgotten that months and months ago, I contacted The Date People to get something called "peanut butter dates". I love fresh dates and had been told by a couple of people that the peanut butter dates from The Date People are AMAZING. Alas, at the time, the harvest was done and I was told that they would contact me in November when the dates became available again. Lo and behold, they called.

But, alas again: No peanut butter dates this year. Evidently, the darn wind blew them all off of the tress...for the second year in a row. Much like the 30 minute conversation I had to order my Thanksgiving turkey, I ended up chatting for a bit with the date farmer about which dates I should now order since the peanut butter ones were not to be had.

I couldn't make up my mind so I went for the sampler pack. And, then, this happens every so often and I think it's so quaint -- they don't take credit cards so there will be an invoice with the product and I'm to send a check after I get the dates. There will be four different kinds of dates in the box. I'm hoping they will be here for Thanksgiving because they will be a great little treat stuffed with peanut butter and/or cream cheese.

Unfortunately, the website for the Date People is no longer up (although you can get a phone number if you google them) -- but here's the link to a video. After you watch it, you will understand that this is another example of people who are committed to bringing the best food to others and not out to make a buck by any stretch of the imagination -- like my turkey farmer and my CSA.

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment