Friday, October 30, 2009

A Coconut Comes to Cockeysville

Last weekend my SO and I took a trip to Miami Beach (combination business and pleasure). Saturday it was too rainy for the "swamp critter safari", so we opted to travel down to the Keys. We ran a little short of time to get all the way down to Key West. At the point we decided to turn around, we drove to see both the Gulf side and then the Atlantic side. On the Atlantic side, we spotted a lone, green coconut that had recently fallen off its tree. We tossed him in the car and decided to bring it back to Maryland.

On Monday, we set out to return home and I had the fear that the coconut would not make it through airline security. I wanted to abandon the coconut rather than deal with the dreaded "bag check" at the airport. SO convinced me to forge ahead with the coconut transport.

At the airport, I did endure a short bag check episode related to the coconut. It got swabbed for explosives while SO pointed out that the coconut was tamper-free. With that, all three of us were off for our Baltimore return.

Coconut came home and rested in the fridge for a few days -- the rest as they say is history as evidenced by the following pictorial:

Pre-hacking!

Half-hacked!!


Now we have an almost defenseless coconut...but this part of the shell was pretty hard to hack through.

We've broken through!

Digging for white gold.


The end result.

The final analysis: I love the water inside the coconut and all I got was about a tablespoon. Rats! The meat is very dry. I am going to make coconut milk out of it. At least I now know what the heck is in those big green coconuts!!

Food & Kisses, GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment